Cannot get old hard drive out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot get old hard drive out

Hey everyone, I spent about 2 hrs tonight just trying to get all of the screws unscrewed from the TiVo cabinet and then from around the hard drive. Finally did it. Then I unhooked the ribbon thing. It was hard but it finally relented and came out. Great. Now, I cannot get the little white power cable that connects to the power source in the TiVo to come out of the hard drive. Spent an hour working on it tonight. It cannot be this hard! What am I doing wrong? Is there a trick here to get it out? I am afraid I will break one of the black, red, or yellow power wires.

Pls somebody help me. I am ready to throw this TiVo out the window but i know that I still love it deep down and I want us to be able to work things out.

Thx!
    Fordo

Patience. Don't pull on the wires. Hold the plastic connector with your thumb and first finger and pull out. You can try to gently move it side to side to cause it to give a little.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      Patience. Don't pull on the wires. Hold the plastic connector with your thumb and first finger and pull out. You can try to gently move it side to side to cause it to give a little.
      Thanks. I tried that for more than an hour. My fingers are still hurting me the next day. There has to be another way bc this thing just is not budging. I have replaced many hard drives and have never encountered one with the power cable in so tightly. Its unreal.

Comment

I use a pair of small needle nose pliers and open them so that I pinch both sides that I would normally try pulling out with my thumb and index finger. I then allow the pliers to rest on the drive and gently pry the plug out while putting most of the force onto the drive so that the plug slides out very slightly.

Comment

I use a small screwdriver

I sometimes resort to using a small pocket screwdriver, the freebie sort you find at trade shows. The blade is narrow enough that you can carefully wedge it in the gaps between the two parts of the power connection. Gently twist the blade head in the gap, gently pry on both ends, and the plug usually wiggles lose enough to remove with your fingers.

You're dealing with friction from the mylex connector, and the four metal pin/socket connections within. It can be tight.

Just make sure the power's unplugged and be gentle, you don't want to slip and end up with your metal screwdriver lodged in the power supply!

Comment

Working...
          X