New here... getting ready to upgrade.. 1 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here... getting ready to upgrade.. 1 question

There sure is a lot of reading involved to prepare for one of these upgrades!

I've got a Toshiba SD-H400 that's froze on me about 5 times this week, have to remove power and reboot... so I'm thinking it's time for a new HDD.. Going to use the WeaKness DIY upgrade path and break the size-barrier on the Toshiba ... cool...

Okay, now to my question.

I've only got a laptop for a PC, not a minitower or anything else anymore. I was hoping that I could use some IDE-USB external enclosure adapters to mount the old and new drives under the WK upgrade CD, but at first glance this does not look to be an option...

Can anyone provide any details on this one? I may have enough old parts laying around in the garage to scrap together a computer long enough to do the upgrade with standard internal IDE ports, but if I can do this with USB adapters I think it would be more convenient for me...

thanks!
    ..dane

Frankly, we really don't know of any way to use a laptop to do this.

Further, if you have rebooting, then you might not want to use the image from that drive, because you might copy corruption over to the next drive . . .
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

SOrry to be gone for a month! Life happened...

I have scrounged enough parts together for a minitower PC to do the job. Good thing, too -- TIVO is locking up several times per day now...

I started another thread on the upgrade topic (link) ...

thanks,
      ..dane

Comment

Working...
      X