Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Q's: Can I use a SATA Drive, and how to replace HDD with a "BarePC" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Q's: Can I use a SATA Drive, and how to replace HDD with a "BarePC" ?

Hello all--

I'm about to embark on my first TIVO repair... We were given a Toshiba H400 1.5 years ago and it's been working great with an occasional lockup. Well now the lockups are quite frequent (several per week some weeks), so I'm looking to replace the HDD.

Having next to NO budget, a buddy of mine gave me an 80GB SATA drive that he's no longer using... which leads me to my first question:

1) Can I use a SATA-to-PATA adapter and put a SATA drive into the Toshiba SD-H400? Our local computer shop has SATA to IDE adapters (SATA drive to IDE controller) for $25...

Okay, assuming we're good there, on to my next question. I've got the weaKnees instructions on getting the existing TIVO stuff off the current HDD and putting it onto a new HDD (to preserve settings and recorded programs).. However the instructions assume that an existing PC hard drive is installed...

We use a laptop, so I've scrounged together enough parts to put together a tower PC, but with no HDD... The weaKnees instructions say the following:

Issue backup and restore commands
    At the prompt, issue the following command:
    mount /dev/hdW1 /mnt

Then issue the backup command (remember to replace hdX and hdY as appropriate):

for one-drive TiVos:
    mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hdX

for two-drive TiVos:
    mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hdX /dev/hdY

The software will scan your drive for a few moments. You should see a progress indicator as the backup proceeds. Once the backup is successful, shut down the PC if your destination drive isn't connected by using CTRL-ALT-DELETE and waiting until the Linux has halted. Then boot again as before with the destination drive connected, and enter the following with hdZ (hdZZ if you have two) as your destination drive:
    mount /dev/hdW1 /mnt

Then:
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdX (/dev/hdY) | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdZ (/dev/hdZZ)

Parentheticals are for two drive to two drive or one drive to two drive situations. Replace X, Y, Z, and ZZ with the actual drive identifiers, and remove either the entire parenthetical for one drive to one drive, or the parentheses themselves for other configurations as appropriate. Don't miss the "-" on each part of the equation. The pipe character - "|" - is made by typing shift-backslash. This process will take much time depending on the sizes of the original drives. At the end, you'll see wording indicating the size of the new drive(s) in hours for the newest Series 2 standalone units - your unit may differ.
    To me that seems to be using my "existing PC hard drive" as a temporary mount point to create the backup of the TIVO image.. Then I do a "restore" to the replacement HDD... which leads me to my second question:

2) How do I do this if I just want to copy one drive's contents to the new drive? I'm not even looking to upgrade storage -- just replace the drive with a newer, same-size SATA drive...

Thanks so much!
    ..dane

Second question answered... I had "make backup" selected on my upgrade instructions. Removing that fixed that problem... whew!

Now on to the "Can I use a SATA with adapter to IDE in an IDE TIVO?" question....

thanks,
    ..dane
    Last edited by dane; 06-14-2008, 06:58 PM.

Comment

One more question ...

There is currently a fan in the back of the Toshiba H400 unit... My guess is that the "stock" fan is inexpensive and could probably be "upgraded" to a quiter AND higher-CFM fan ... is that true?

ALso there are two areas of "venting" towards the back of each side of the unit ... I wonder if additional fans could be added to help alleviate heat problems with the unit?

..dane

Comment

Sorry to say, I really don't know what fan goes in that unit. Do you know what the model number or size is?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

once I get the transfer going I'll look into the fan information ...

any reasons you can think of why this SATA-IDE converter won't work? Looks to me like it's just a straightforward thing ... we'll find out soon...

..dane

Comment

ARGH!

The SATA-to-IDE box contains the WRONG THING! The box is clearly labeled "Convert SATA to operate with IDE Host Controller" but in the box is the OTHER way around ...

Box is labeled SBT-STDB but inside the box is SBT-SCIDE...

Grumpy now ...

..dane

Comment

Not fun. We end up with some stuff from overseas where the translations haven't really been checked carefully . . .
              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

got an old IDE drive.. worked great....

Comment

Working...
                X