Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore to one drive: TiVo keeps rebootin

Greetings,

I used the Interactive TiVo Upgrade Instructions to upgrade my TiVo Series2 drive from the original 40 GB (540040) to a 300 GB Maxtor drive.

It was working fine for a year, but then it started "stuttering" when playing back Live TV if you rewinded it.

At any rate, after running some Maxtor diagnostics on it (which showed no errors), they told me to low-level format the drive. So, I made a backup of this disk using the boot CD and the command:

mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hda

...and this worked fine.

Then I low-level formatted the drive. After which I attempted to restore the image using the boot CD and the command:

mfsrestore -r 4 -zpi /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hda

...and this seemed to work fine as well. (NOTE: I followed the instructions: "If you are restoring to a drive that is the same size as the original, remove the "-s 127" and the "x" in the above string" ... since the image size came from the 300 GB drive and was going back to the 300 GB drive.

After inserting the drive back into my TiVo, I get the "Powering Up" screen, then the "Just a few minutes more..." screen, then it tells me to press the TiVo or LiveTV button to start it up. When I do that, it starts the boot process all over again.

I'm about to try to restore the original 40GB backup to see if the problem is with the 300 GB drive, or with my restore procedure.

Can anyone verify that what I did with the restore procedure is correct?

Thanks!
    - Bob, from NH

Basically, what that means is that the drive has true hardware problems, and that the reformatting didn't clear the issue. You should basically get a new drive.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X