NEW TiVo, OLD drive!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW TiVo, OLD drive!!!

I upgraded the drive in my old TiVo to 320GB. About a year later I had a hardware malfunction with that machine and had it swapped out for a replacement. I returned the original 80GB drive to the returned unit, and received a new unit with an 80GB drive.

I proceeded to replace the new 80GB drive with the 320GB one I had been using in the old TiVo, but it doesn't work. When I go to Sys Info, there is no service number shown - just 15 0's. When I try to access recordings, I get an Error 51.

Can I set up this drive for use with the new unit without losing the 200+ hours of recordings??? I am thinking maybe I need to copy some identifying info from the new unit's drive to the 320, but I'm not sure how...

That's just a re-serialization issue. When you move a drive, you have to reset it fully. See the full info here:

http://www.tivopedia.com/error-51-hardware-error.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Am I typing this correct?
      mfsbackup -f 9999 -so - /dev/hdE | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdF

I am trying to replace a 80GB bad drive in a SD-H400 toshiba with a 80GB tivo drive from a tcd540080

It say that backup failed to startup

Comment

You need to check carefully to see that the two drives have the EXACT same sector count (or at least that the SDH400 is not larger). If they are the same, then it should be mfsrestore -zi - /dev/hdF

Comment

Ok, I tried mfsbackup -f 9999 -so - dev/hdE | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -zi - /dev/hdF and I get:
          /dev/hdE no such file or directory
          /dev/hdE10 illegal seek
          mfs_load_volume_header : mfsvol_read_data: imput/output error

I am putting a space after -f before 9999 and after -r before 4. is that right?

Both drives are maxtor 80 gb and seem to be identical in size
          Thanks
          Last edited by Nero; 12-28-2008, 01:13 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

The E and F should be lowercase . . .
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

New Tivo, old drive

I have a Series 2 single tuner, which the previous owner upgraded with a 300mb Maxtor drive. I want to acquire a Series 2 Dual Tuner on craigslist (for the extra tuner as well as the RJ45 internet jack).

Can I pull my Maxtor 300gb drive and pop it into my (future) Series 2 DT? I don't care about saving any programs I currently have on the Maxtor.

Thanks for any help.

>Laibon<

Comment

Working...
              X