Help w/ Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/ Upgrade

I just started my upgrade today and things aren't going as smoothly as I would've liked. I'm sure its me so I'm posting for a little direction.

I am adding a 500GB HDD to my Tivo Series 2. I purchased a SATA HDD and am using a SATA - IDE bridge so the drive will work in the Tivo.

To format the drive I connected to my Vista computer, assigned it a drive letter and then used a utility called fat32format to allow a FAT32 file system to be applied to this big HDD.

All of my drives appear as they should in the information provided by the Weaknees utility. However when I attempt to mount the new drive with the FAT32 file system I get an error.

First attempt: mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt
    Error: kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k nls_cp437, errno = 2
    Error: kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k nls_iso8859-1, errno =2

The latter error repeats 2 more times.

Second attempt: mount /dev/hdb /mnt
    FAT: bogus logical sector size 190
    VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 03:40
    UMSDOS: msdos_read_super failed, mount aborted

and then it repeats.

What am I doing wrong? Also, couldn't I just use Acronis True Image Boot CD to image the Tivo drive?

Thanks,

MJ

I wound up using a program called Swissknife that did an awesome (fast & efficient) job of properly formatting this drive. I think the problem was that the drive did not format properly with the first program.

Frankly I'm not sure why the first format didn't work. But I also couldn't get Windows to format the drive with the NTFS file system and the DOS command: format d: /fs:FAT32 didn't work either.

I still got that short list of "kmod:failed . . ." errors when I attempted to mount the drive. Maybe they're not errors. I'm no Linux guy. But I moved on and the backup worked well.

I'll post again if I run into any other trouble.

MJ

Comment

Working...
    X