X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help: Possibly a stupid newbie question

I am trying to figure out the Interactive TiVo Upgrade Instructions:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/index.php

Of course I am getting confused in identifying my model! I bet this is very easy for everyone here, but I want to learn everything I can before I upgrade my year old Series 2 TiVo. I also, obviously don't want to post my TiVo service number.

When I got my TiVo the Item code was an R64980. Also, the service number starts with 649 followed by -0001. This leads me to interpret the model as a Pioneer? Is that correct?

Should I then click on the button that says TiVo DT 649080?

If I am right up to this point, one last question (a two parter):

Can I still do a two drive upgrade -- which I am interested in -- biggest drives for the price?

Then is it better to get the drives elsewhere and the drive brackets here? Or is WeaKnees pretty competitive? I am looking to do this in the August timeframe before the new season begins.

Finally, my Software version is 8.3. Would that present a problem?

Is this a refurb from TiVo, with no DVD burner/player? If so, then you likely have a TCD649080 and that's the info you should use.

You can do a two drive upgrade. You'll likely need a bracket, and by the time you buy the bracket and the drive, you might want to just leave the work to us.

Brackets are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/twinbreeze.php

and complete kits are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/dt08.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

No, it's not a refurb. I bought it brand new last year. Can you believe it? I got into the TiVo revolution that late?!!

Thanks for replying. What is a TCD649080? Is that the Pioneer? So am I picking the right button on the upgrade instructions page?

Thanks for the other links.

Actually, the upgrade work doesn't scare me, I am a PC technician by trade. I've previously hacked my DVD player, so stuff like this is par for the course for me. What I do like about WeaKnees though is the ability to maybe buy an enhanced TiVo down the line. That has possibilities.

Comment

No - that unit isn't a Pioneer. Does your unit say Pioneer anywhere on it? Does it have a DVD burner in it?

Comment

No DVD burner.

So where do I find out what it IS?

Comment

Look on the back near the power cord . . .

Comment

By the power cord it says: TCD649080.

So that's the button I pick on your upgrade page, correct?

Comment

Yup - exactly right.

Comment

Thank you very much Michael!

Comment

Working...
                  X