Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello weaknees!

Long time listener, first time caller.

I've been a Weaknees customer pretty much since the inception and I've bought many, many brackets from you as well as had you handle three or four of my upgrades. I recently purchased a bracket from you for my latest upgrade, and handled it this afternoon.

Something has happened that seems wrong but I am not completely certain if this is the case. I had a 580 hour dual tuner unit with a 500 GB Seagate in it. I just added a 750 GB Seagate hard drive this afternoon.

When I plugged it in, everything worked fine (always a relief). When I went into the menu to check out my recording space, however, I was caught off-guard by what it said. My recording capacity shows as follows:

Best Quality 1 hrs, 00 min
    High Quality 1 hrs, 00 min
    Medium Quality 1 hrs, 00 min
    Basic Quality 1 hrs, 00 min

I know from the linux message that I added 899 hours, so I should have a 1379 hour unit (give or take). When I try to record shows, I don't seem to be running into storage issues. I put in six hours for a baseball game to check, and it didn't have any problem with the recording space.

Is this just an issue wherein TiVo chokes on this much storage space and cannot calculate the accurate storage capacities or is this an early warning signal that something went wrong with the upgrade? Thanks in advance.

PS: If I were to send you a TiVo that already has a 500 hour unit and gave you a pair of 1 TB drives, could you convert it to a 2 TB unit or would I be stuck at 1.5 TB since I have already done one expansion?
    Last edited by jidady; 07-16-2007, 02:23 PM.

You're correct in your guess that the TiVo is unable to show you the actual number of hours it will be able to record. But rest assured that it will use all of the space that you saw confirmed in Linux.

As for the second question about the 2TB capacity, what model TiVo are we talking about and are you hoping to save the programming from the 500GB?
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jason View Post
      You're correct in your guess that the TiVo is unable to show you the actual number of hours it will be able to record. But rest assured that it will use all of the space that you saw confirmed in Linux.
      Woohoo!

As for the second question about the 2TB capacity, what model TiVo are we talking about and are you hoping to save the programming from the 500GB?
      I currently have a pair of dual tuner units, a pair of single tuner units and I just got a Series 3. What I want to do is phase out the single tuner units and dump them off on friends. In order to do that, I would want to transfer their files over to the other dual tuner unit. The problem is that I am relatively certain that the TiVo in question's hard drive is going to fail at some point. It's started making the dreaded clicking noise, albeit only once every 10 days or so.

In a perfect world, what I would want to do is swap out its hard drive for a pair of new ones I can trust. Since this is a bit more involved, these are generally the ones I hand off to you kind people. I would like to keep the files; however, it's perfectly simple for me to transfer them over to another TiVo if need be. Then, you could start from scratch if that's easier. Really, it just depends on what you guys suggest.

Comment

So, is it one of the Series 2 units you want to put the capacity into? I'm not familiar with any terabyte IDE drives.

Comment

Right, it's the remaining dual tuner.

I have to be honest that I hadn't looked to see if the 1 TB drives were sata-exclusive or not. Let's use the same scenario for a pair of 750 GB units just to be safe.

Comment

We can install dual 750GB drives into that unit for a total of 1800 hours recording time at basic or 450 at best quality. Your programming from the 500GB would not be saved. If you decide to go to a 500GB drive + either a 500 or a 750GB, we could try and clone the original 500 drive onto the new one and add to it the extra space.

Comment

Working...
            X