Best HD for TiVo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best HD for TiVo?

I'm looking to change the dead internal 2.5" 3TB drive in my Bolt+ with a 3.5" drive (since the 3TB 2.5s are no longer available). Until I can afford to take the plunge and buy one of the superior weaKnees external drive kits, I'm just planning on having this drive sit next to the bolt+ exposed. That shouldn't be too much of an issue, right? at least as a temporary solution?

I have a bunch of questions, sort of all over the place, so here goes...

I'm a fan of Western Digital drives. Which of their drives tend to work best in the DVR world? Blue, Red, Purple, Black? I know the last drive I purchased from WeaKnees was a WD Blue... but is that still the best choice? Do your external drive kits use WD? or are you using something else these days?

I'm also curious if RPM and cache size play much of a role in the performance of a drive used for a DVR?

I thought in digging around, I had seen some mention of needing to do something special to drives over 2 or 3TB. Is that true? I can't seem to find it again now that I'm looking. So would it be better for me to stick to a 3TB for now until I can get a larger weaKnees kit?

Do you sell the external kits without a drive in them? I didn't see that as an option, but wasn't sure if it was something that might be offered. If I buy my own drive now, and get something larger, like say a 20TB either now, or later, would I be able to buy one of the external kits and just swap the drive out myself? Is there a reason your external kits seem to stop at 10TB?

For 3.5", definitely Purple is the right answer for a DVR.

We can sell you the external kit without a drive for $125.

We format all of our drives here, no matter the size. If you'd like help with formatting questions, best bet is TiVoCommunity.com.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Awesome! That would be perfect. What do I need to do to order that? Since I didn't see that option on the site.

I was leaning towards Purple too, so that sounds good.

I love the weaKnees kit. Even the enclosure itself just seems to be such a better design than other enclosures out there.

I even reached out to a couple external drive enclosure companies and asked about enclosures with fans. Those companies don't make them anymore. They've all gone to an all metal enclosure that 'acts like a heatsink'. While I'm sure this is true.. I personally like the idea of a fan blowing fresh air over the contents.

Comment

Email us at [email protected] and we can get you ordering info for the driveless kit.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks Michael, Much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
          X