X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bplein View Post
    Hello!

I have a Hughes SD-DVR40 Series 2 DirecTV Tivo that I upgraded a few years back with a Weaknees Twinbreeze drive mounting kit and an additional drive.

Today I disconnected the system in order to re-run my power and signal connections (cleaning up the rats nest behind my gear!) and when I plugged it back in, it wouldn't boot. No signal from the S-video that I normally use, and no light on the power on the front of the case.

I opened it up, and it was apparent that the drives were not spinning.

I disconnected the IDE cable and the drives would spin up.

Finally, I created a clean image on a new drive (500GB WD Green Power drive), used a SATA/IDE adapter, and connected it. It too would not boot. BUT the drive would power up even with the IDE connected.

Does it sound like a bad power supply, or a bad motherboard? What are my options at this point?

Thanks in advance!
    Very hard to tell, especially because many SATA/IDE adapters do not work in TiVos. The problem with a drive not spinning with the IDE connected is a known motherboard problem that we can fix. But I'm not sure if you have that, given your SATA drive spinning (complicated by the adapter issue).

When you use the WD, do you get lights on the front?

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      Very hard to tell, especially because many SATA/IDE adapters do not work in TiVos. The problem with a drive not spinning with the IDE connected is a known motherboard problem that we can fix. But I'm not sure if you have that, given your SATA drive spinning (complicated by the adapter issue).

When you use the WD, do you get lights on the front?
      I will check... I had it upside down on the open PC case. But I am sure they are on, as I could hear drive seeking for a few seconds after the startup. I didn't test the video output with the WD, however. Maybe I should do that. But after testing with the WD, I tried my old hard drives again and they failed to spin up.

It could be that the SATA-IDE adapter is masking the cable problem (could allow the drive to spin up despite other problems). I can create another PATA drive and try that tonight, but I have no reason to believe that it will work any better than the other 2 existing PATA drives.

Any other testing ideas? Thanks in advance. Trying to figure out if I should just buy another DVR40 on ebay and try out the power supply, or use it for the motherboard, or....

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
        The problem with a drive not spinning with the IDE connected is a known motherboard problem that we can fix.
        By the way, what's the process and charge for doing this if indeed I determine this to be my problem?

Comment

$99. You'd pay here:

http://www.weaknees.com/repair_charge.php

and we'd email you shipping info.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Is there any way I can definitively rule out (or in!) the power supply? I've got a digital multimeter, is there a way to test it to determine if it's putting out the correct power/load?

Before I spend a hundred on a service, or a power supply, it's probably better to figure it out.

Comment

Best bet would be to scavenge a known-working IDE drive to test in there, or trying the IDE drive you have in a computer to see if it spins up.

Comment

OK, well I blew it.

I'm a technical guy. I work on cars, computers, anything. I tested with another IDE drive and it would not spin with the IDE cable connected, but it would spin up without it. So it looks like the motherboard.

So, I take a look, see that there is an NVRAM battery just like any other motherboard. Figure it wouldn't hurt to remove it for a while, replace it and see if it's a "soft" error.

I broke the clip that holds it in place and completes the circuit! DOH! I know these things too! Very frustrating

Soooo, is that something you can replace, or did I just work my way into buying another DirecTV Tivo?

Comment

The problem wasn't the battery--it was a series of chips on the motheboard, which can be repaired. I haven't actually repaired the battery clip; I'd have to take a look. If you are interested in having us try to repair your unit, send us an email. See:

Contact weaKnees

Comment

I've got a line on a used SD-DVR40, I'll transfer my account over to that one.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• so it sounds like I've got a power supply issue but maybe someone here can confirm it. Last night my series 2 Tivo started rebooting on its own. eventually I unplugged it and it restarted ok. today it died completely. When plugged in, the fan works but the lights on the front don't come on and it's a completely black screen. no welcome message or anything.

so does this sound like a power supply issue? I haven't pulled out the hard drives or anything else yet.

Comment

• Yup - that really does sound like a power supply issue.

Comment

• ugh - new hard drive and still no go!

I just replaced the hard drive in my 5-year-old TCD240040 with a drive from Weaknees. Before replacement, it seemed like it positively was a hard drive issue. My screen was freezing and the only way to get things working was to unplug and re-plug. Things worked fine from there but freezing frequency was increasing. One day I got the Green Screen of Death. It said it would be trying to fix itself for 3 hours but next thing I knew it was back on Live TV. Upon playing a show back, played for a few minutes then the screen went completely black and TiVo became unresponsive. Had to unplug to restart. There was also one time when I saw the left light blink very fast in yellow and green when trying to restart. Okay, so I got the new hard drive and replaced it and all seemed fine - did the guided setup and everything but after an hour or two I turned the TV on to find the screen black and TiVo unresponsive. Unplugged it for fear of doing damage to new hard drive (I think I could have damaged the old one this way). Do you think it is a power supply issue?

Comment

• Your symptoms sound drive-related to me (green screen, etc.). When you plug the TIVO back in, what happens now?

Comment

• After I installed the hard drive, I ran the guided setup and everything seemed fine. I turned the TV off. An hour or two later, I turned the TV back on and the screen was black. The yellow light on the left responded to the remote, but nothing happened on the screen. No Tivo central, no green play bar. When I unplugged and re-plugged, it started back up just fine.

Comment

• If this happens once, then I would not be concerned. If it happens repeatedly with a brand new drive, then you might have something else going on with the unit (power supply, motherboard).

Comment

Working...
                                X