TiVo without CableCard mandate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo without CableCard mandate

In September, 2020, the FCC dropped its mandate that Cable TV companies supply CableCards. https://www.nexttv.com/news/fcc-aban...es-rule-review Charter/Spectrum, for one, no longer supports CableCards. Although I can continue to use mine with a "legacy" account, no new Spectrum subscriber can use TiVo, and I cannot change my account without abandoning TiVo. I can only assume that other Cable TV providers will do the same thing. Is TiVo considering any fix, or does this effectively put TiVo out of business?

Can you cite a source for the Spectrum/Charter info?

I haven’t seen that anywhere else.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I am afraid I neglected to get a copy of the online chat where I was given this information. A bit of background is necesssary.

My ISP provider for years has been Earthlink, however their high-speed internet was actually supplied through a contract with Charter/Spectrum (my CableTV provider). That contract is ending. I was given about 2 weeks' notice that this was happening. I needed to decide whether to have Earthlink or Charter/Spectrum as my ISP. It turns out that Earthlink does not provide any high-speed internet in my area (contrary to the information in their notice), and Charter/Spectrum would keep my same speed and pricing, so I decided to use Charter/Spectrum as my ISP.

I have Charter/Spectrum CableTV under a legacy account from Adelphia, before Charter took it over. I inquired of the Spectrum rep whether I could get a better deal than the one I currently have. They suggested that I could get the "Gold" plan, but that use of their box was mandatory. When I asked if I could use TiVo instead, they said "No," it was not compatible with their current programming. I chatted with two different reps. They stated that they no longer provide or support CableCards. They said that I could continue to use TiVo under my legacy account, but I could not use it with any new account, including a change to my current account.

I contacted TiVo directly, but the person on their chat did not seem very knowledgeable and suggested that the solution was to use streaming services! That is obviously not a solution. I know you folks pretty much have your finger on the TiVo pulse (and you did provide a few of my TiVo units), so yours is my next stop. I am sorry I neglected to get this in writing, but I am sure you can verify it with Charter/Spectrum. On the other hand, if you get contrary information I would love to hear it.

Comment

We really have no contacts at cable companies, and it is possible that a change here has occurred, but I feel like we'd be hearing about this a ton if it were the case. Maybe it's a local issue at your local Spectrum office?

You said you've tried twice, but I'd maybe try again, but calling the 800 number.

Comment

I was actually told this by two different representatives on chat, and by a representative on the telephone. I don't think I was ever in touch with a "local" office. I'll try to get further verification.

Comment

Their website sure doesn't indicate of this:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/about-cablecards/

How do I get a CableCARD?

CableCARDs must be leased from Spectrum and can be self-installed or activated by a professional installer. Pick up your CableCARD at your local Spectrum store or have it delivered to your home. CableCARD-compatible retail devices can be purchased at retail stores as well.
            Interested in getting a CableCARD? Contact us.

Comment

Apparently there are just a few folks at Spectrum who do not know what is going on. I posted my issue in the community support forum there, and an administrator replied that everybody I talked to was wrong, and that Spectrum will continue to support TiVo. I verified that the previous information I had gotten was wrong with yet another phone call. Sorry to have sent up a flag, but it is good to know you folks are there. Thanks.

Comment

Great! Thanks for the confirmation.

This certainly may happen someday, but we're glad to hear that isn't today.

Comment

Working...
                X