New HD, but still stuck on "Powering Up"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New HD, but still stuck on "Powering Up"

Hi! My Humax T800 died about a week ago. We went over a friends house, and when we came back, the TV was stuck on "Weclome! Powering Up..." I open the case, blew out all the dust, reseated the IDE and power cables, and tried to reboot, with no luck. Is there a case interlock? I rebooted with the case cover off.

Based on what I saw here, I assumed my old 80GB drive was dead, so I ordered (and received) a new 320GB WD drive. I installed the drive and the IDE/SATA adapter, but when I rebooted, the TiVo is still stuck on "Welcome! Powering Up..." I already tried powering it back down and swapping in the 80-pin IDE cable that came with the upgrade kit, but it still doesn't work. The IDE/SATA adapter board comes on with a steady red and steady green LED (green on top, red on the next LED underneath), and it sounds like the drive is spinning -- although it's hard to tell as the drive is pretty darn quiet and pretty much vibration free.

Any ideas what to check next?

You should try removing and reseating the cables and trying again; sometimes that does the trick.

Comment

Tried reseating, no dice.

Also, I can't get a kickstart, either -- it boots with a green light and stays green even after holding pause for over a minute. How long does a kickstart code take?

Comment

So there's no video out at all at this point? If so, it sounds like you have a bad power supply. Replacements for that are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I'm still getting the "Welcome! Powering Up..." screen; same symptoms as my first post. It just doesn't get past that point.... I wouldn't think it's the ps, unless you think it's not delivering enough +12V to drive the bigger spindle.... :?
          Last edited by IanJT; 06-02-2009, 03:58 AM.

Comment

So the behavior is exactly the same with both drives at this point?

Is there a jumper cover in place on the IDE/SATA adapter?

Comment

Yes, performance is exactly the same with both drives. There is a jumper on the IDE/SATA adapter, and I made sure the blue end is on the mobo and the final black end is on the adapter.

How long should I have to hold down pause to get a kickstart? I tried holding it down until about a minute or two after the Powering Up screen came on.

Comment

It shouldn't take more than two minutes. It sounds like neither drive is working at all, which may really be a motherboard problem.

If you don't press pause at all, does the light ever change color?

Comment

Nope, just one steady green light. Comes on a few seconds after I apply power, before the Welcome/Power Up screen. I had guessed it was HD not only because I was stuck at W/PU, but also because I had heard some ticking from the drive for a few days before it died -- I had figured it was running an internal defrag to free up space, but I then figured it was a desparate cry for help which I ignored until it was too late.

Comment

In a small amount of cases like this (maybe 2%) the problem is actually a bad power supply, and given that two drives produce the same symptoms, I think it's worth giving a replacement a try.

Comment

OK, I've got a replacement on order. Any useful information come out of power up the ps, and checking output voltages with a multi-meter? Or is it more likely a current problem?

Comment

It's generally a problem with the communication with the motherboard, not the hard drive. That's really not something you can measure with a multi-meter.

Comment

Didn't really think so, but figured I'd ask just in case.

Comment

Looks like it was the PS and the HD. New drive, new PS boots. Old drive, new PS does not.... Thanks!

Comment

That happens - often power issues that take out one component manage to take out both at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                              X